Each week, we take a peek into the public project we all love, loathe, and live to talk about: the ongoing battle for a Viaduct replacement.
[Photo by WSDOT via Flickr. Get ready for this craziness.]
Did you miss us? We know, summer Fridays and long weekends really put a damper on your Viaduct news updates. Never fear, though -- we're back and better than ever. Now that we know we're getting a tunnel, we can give you concrete information and facts and totally skip over the arguing and bickering that led to thing! ...Wait, that's totally false. People are still arguing.
Viaduct status: Upright. (And doomed.)
Recent earthquakes: A 5.6! Oh wait, that was in New York. Does that make our argument for a High Line better?
Annoying shutdowns on the horizon: Ferry access is now closed forever?!
What we're getting: A tunnel! Starting in October! Okay, actually they're just shutting the Viaduct down then.
Here's the deal:
· Wait, we're going to run out of money before it's even built? [P-I via PubliCola]
· Find out how your neighbors voted. [WSB]
· What to expect when you're expecting a tunnel in Pioneer Square [TNPS]
· That's a pretty sketch! Too bad it's not long for this world. [ST]
· They aren't wasting time shutting that sucker down, are they? [ST]
· Here's a slideshow of what's actually going to happen. [P-I]