clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

13 Historic Seattle Buildings Converted Into Homes

View as Map

Churches. Schools. Firehouses. Pump Houses. If you can think of it, it seems as though someone has converted it into a house. Sometimes that means affordable housing for those in need and sometimes that means luxury condos prices at $1.5M, such as this one in The Sanctuary. Below, you'll find thirteen buildings around Seattle that started out life in service to many but now provide service to a select few. There's sure to be others we missed so go ahead and let us know if you think of any and we'll add them to the list.

Read More
Eater maps are curated by editors and aim to reflect a diversity of neighborhoods, cuisines, and prices. Learn more about our editorial process.

Fire Station #25

Copy Link

Built in 1909, it was the first brick firehouse in Seattle. Decommissioned in 1970, it gained City of Seattle Landmark status in 1976 and reopened with 16 townhouse units in 1980.

West Queen Anne Elementary School

Copy Link

Built in 1896, the school closed in 1981 but soon reopened full of 49 condominium units, both one and two story ranging from 600 to 2,500 square feet.

Ruggles/Lucknow Building

Copy Link

This turn of the century "Chicago-style" warehouse now mixes moderate-income residential apartments with retail space on the ground floor,

The Big House in Ballard

Copy Link

The 6,000-square-foot building has been the Second Swedish Church, Bethany Baptist, Bethany Assembly, Evangelical Chinese and Church of the Divine Man. These days its a home but still contains classic features such as The Gothic Crow window.

Fire Station 38

Copy Link

This former fire station is classified as a historical landmark. Originally constructed in 1930, it features architectural details remi- niscent of the Mission/Spanish revival and Neo-Classical revival styles.

Fire Station 37

Copy Link

This 1925 firehouse (renovated in 1986) features Mission Revival Style architecture. Since it's only one level, it does not come with a firepole.

The Cobb Building

Copy Link

Originally intended as a "city in a city", The Cobb ended up as was the first medical-dental building west of the Mississippi. Today it's full of luxury condos, though it maintains many of its original features.

Lyon Building

Copy Link

Built in 1910, The Lyon was one of the earliest landmarks of the architectural movement toward "skyscrapers," even though it's only six stories tall. Today, it contains 64 apartments for low income people in need.

West Seattle Pump House

Copy Link

Built in 1936, this former pump house was used to pump water from the Duwamish River to West Seattle. Now, it's 3-BR luxury home with a four-car garage.

The Florentine

Copy Link

Built in 1909 as a warehouse, this building on the edge of Pioneer Square now contains 116 condos from it's refurbishment in 1990.

Monique Lofts

Copy Link

Another warehouse (built in 1913) that was converted into oft-style condos in 1999. It includes 24 residential homes and two commercial street-level spaces.

Queen Anne High School

Copy Link

Built in 1908, Queen Anne High School closed its doors in 1981 and became an official City of Seattle landmark. It also became a collection of apartments and, later on, high-end condos.

The Sanctuary

Copy Link

The First Church of Christ, Scientist has been turned into 12 masterfully-crafted residences, some of which have gone for over $1M.

Loading comments...

Fire Station #25

Built in 1909, it was the first brick firehouse in Seattle. Decommissioned in 1970, it gained City of Seattle Landmark status in 1976 and reopened with 16 townhouse units in 1980.

West Queen Anne Elementary School

Built in 1896, the school closed in 1981 but soon reopened full of 49 condominium units, both one and two story ranging from 600 to 2,500 square feet.

Ruggles/Lucknow Building

This turn of the century "Chicago-style" warehouse now mixes moderate-income residential apartments with retail space on the ground floor,

The Big House in Ballard

The 6,000-square-foot building has been the Second Swedish Church, Bethany Baptist, Bethany Assembly, Evangelical Chinese and Church of the Divine Man. These days its a home but still contains classic features such as The Gothic Crow window.

Fire Station 38

This former fire station is classified as a historical landmark. Originally constructed in 1930, it features architectural details remi- niscent of the Mission/Spanish revival and Neo-Classical revival styles.

Fire Station 37

This 1925 firehouse (renovated in 1986) features Mission Revival Style architecture. Since it's only one level, it does not come with a firepole.

The Cobb Building

Originally intended as a "city in a city", The Cobb ended up as was the first medical-dental building west of the Mississippi. Today it's full of luxury condos, though it maintains many of its original features.

Lyon Building

Built in 1910, The Lyon was one of the earliest landmarks of the architectural movement toward "skyscrapers," even though it's only six stories tall. Today, it contains 64 apartments for low income people in need.

West Seattle Pump House

Built in 1936, this former pump house was used to pump water from the Duwamish River to West Seattle. Now, it's 3-BR luxury home with a four-car garage.

The Florentine

Built in 1909 as a warehouse, this building on the edge of Pioneer Square now contains 116 condos from it's refurbishment in 1990.

Monique Lofts

Another warehouse (built in 1913) that was converted into oft-style condos in 1999. It includes 24 residential homes and two commercial street-level spaces.

Queen Anne High School

Built in 1908, Queen Anne High School closed its doors in 1981 and became an official City of Seattle landmark. It also became a collection of apartments and, later on, high-end condos.

The Sanctuary

The First Church of Christ, Scientist has been turned into 12 masterfully-crafted residences, some of which have gone for over $1M.