Given Seattle's boomtown roots, it's no surprise that hotels have been a major part of the landscape since the beginning. Even after the Great Seattle Fire of 1889, some of the first buildings to go back up were hotels. Since then, the city and region's hotel scene has grown, contracted, evolved and remained a vibrant part of the community. As we celebrate the hotels that stand today, let's take a moment to look back on the hotels that, for one reason or another, didn't make it this far. Some have been demolished while others have been converted into apartments or businesses. You may even live in one of these former hotels right now...Read More
20 Seattle Hotels That No Longer Exist
One of Seattle's leading hotels in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Butler Hotel closed in 1933. It was demolished shortly thereafter but the lower two floors survive as part of the Butler Garage.
Built in 1890 from the ashes of the Great Seattle Fire, the building served as a hotel until early in the 20th Century. Abandoned in 1961, the hotel was torn down and replaced with a parking garage, derisively called the "Sinking Ship."
Washington Hotel/Denny Hotel
Once Seattle's grandest hotel, the Washington Hotel (originally the Denny Hotel) was torn down during the 1906–1907 phase of the Denny Regrade. It was replaced by the New Washington Hotel (now Josephinium) and the Moore Theatre and Hotel, both just to the west on the hotel's former grounds, and both originally owned by J. A. Moore, who had owned the Washington Hotel.
Located in the International District, the Bush Hotel is now a low income housing project that provides affordable accommodations to those in need. It was originally known as the Busch Hotel.
Built in 1889, the Cadillac Hotel building in Pioneer Square was seriously damaged in the 2001 Nisqually earthquake. After rehabilitation by the Historic Seattle PDA, it became the new visitor center of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park.
Grand Pacific Hotel/Colonial Hotel
The Grand Pacific Hotel is a substantial four-story brick and stone building designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Along with the neighboring Colonial Hotel, these buildings today make up the The Colonial Grand Pacific Condominium lofts.
The Diller Hotel
The Diller Hotel, now known as the Diller Room, was known as one of the few luxury hotels in the early 1900s. It was one of the first hotels to reopen after the Great Seattle Fire in 1889.
Currently the home of Jai Thai, Just Desserts and other Fremont businesses, this building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a city landmark from its days as Fremont Hotel.
Nowadays known as Frye Apartments, the Frye Hotel was described at the time as simply the finest hotel in Seattle. It was also one of the highest of the city’s new steel-frame brick and terra-cotta tile skyscrapers. In the early 1970s, the hotel was converted into low-income apartments.
A former hotel building in the heart of Georgetown, this building now consists of upstairs apartments upstairs and a collection of bars, a coffeehouse, a record store and more downstairs.
The Josephinum/New Washington Hotel
Originally the New Washington Hotel, it is now subsidized senior housing. The building is listed as a city landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places
Known today as the Milwaukee Hotel, the renovated building provides street level retail space, basement parking, and 120 affordable workforce apartments. The building was renovated to Secretary of Interior Standards for Historic Preservation.
The Morrison Hotel
Built in 1909, the Morrison Hotel (originally the Arctic Club & Hotel Seward) sits across the street from the King County Courthouse. Today its transitional housing and a shelter.
The NP Hotel is now a low-income apartment house with restaurants and retail on the ground floor.
After a history as a low-end hostelry, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the ground floor was first a cafe, then later a bar, and the building was a significant performance venue and alternative art space; it was damaged in the 2001 Nisqually Earthquake, then remodeled as apartments. Even now, the lobby hosts art exhibits.
Known by many names over the years (Pennington Hotel; Penbrook Hotel; Milner Hotel), it's now listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Leamington Hotel and Apartments.
Grand Central Hotel
The Grand Central Hotel, a name from the Klondike Gold Rush era, is also known as Squire Latimer Building, Squire Latimer Block and Grand Central on the Park. The 1972 renovation of this prominent building provided a catalyst for further renovations in Pioneer Square
The Delmar Building and State Hotel, also known as Terry and Kittinger Building or the Lombardy Building, was the very first building complete after Seattle’s great fire in 1889.
The Northern Hotel
The Maynard Building was originally (1892) the Dexter Horton Building (a name that was later preempted by a 1920s office building a few blocks away), home to the Dexter Horton Bank, one of the banks that eventually merged to form Seattle First National Bank (Seafirst), and were eventually absorbed into the Bank of America. It's also known as the Northern Hotel Building.
Triangle Hotel and Bar, also known as the Flatiron Building, is still home to a bar but the hotel is long gone. Behind the building is the Alaskan Way Viaduct...but not for long.